It was a season like no other and a regular season that ended with Army posting back-to-back wins over its service-Academy challengers.
Four plays from those two victories made our top 10 for the 2020 season including the first three.
Here’s our list:
- Cedrick Cunningham’s touchdown-saving tackle against Navy: Army’s goal-line stand wouldn’t have happened if Cunningham didn’t track Navy quarterback Xavier Arline and forced him out of bounds before the pylon.
- Army’s fourth-down stand against Navy: Senior captain Amadeo West led the charge to keep Army’s first shutout over the Midshipmen since 1969 intact.
- Jabari Moore’s INT in Air Force win: Moore displayed great concentration and ball skill on his fourth-quarter pick in the end zone to keep the Falcons from extending CIC tilt to two-score game and give Army’s offense a chance for game-winning drive.
- Isaiah Alston’s reception against Louisiana-Monroe: The freshman wide receiver made a difficult catch look rather routine by diving and getting both hands under the ball in a split second. The grab was ranked No. 3 among plays on ESPN’s College Football Final that weekend.
- Jacobi Buchanan’s TD in Air Force: A touchdown run from inside the 1-yard normally wouldn’t be in this regard but Buchanan’s touchdown was on fourth-and-goal and sealed the Commander in Chief’s trophy.
- Jabari Moore Pick Six vs. Cincinnati: Moore’s interception return was far from ordinary. The sophomore cornerback read the shuffle or pitch from the jump and corralled it for 41-yard score.
- Tyrell Robinson’s video-game move against Middle Tennessee State: Robinson, a freshman running back, made an impression in his college debut with a move that reminded of a Madden juke right, turning a potential loss to a productive gain.
- Jon Rhattigan’s Pick Six vs. Middle Tennessee State: Jonny Nation’s 43-yard interception return set the tone for Army’s sensational defensive season. The Black Knights would finish No. 1 in the nation in total defense.
- Mike Johnson’s leadership: The captain showed why he was held him in high respect by pulling away teammates and directing the offense to the sideline after Army scored a touchdown against West Virginia in the Liberty Bowl. Johnson’s action prevented what could have a potential skirmish
- Andre Carter’s INT vs. Georgia Southern: Carter’s diving pick seal Army’s win. The sophomore linebacker also blocked an extra point in one-point victory.