It was a season like no other and a regular season that ended with Army posting back-to-back wins over its service-Academy challengers.
Four plays from those two victories made our top 10 for the 2020 season including the first three.
Here’s our list:
- Cedrick Cunningham’s touchdown-saving tackle against Navy: Army’s goal-line stand wouldn’t have happened if Cunningham didn’t track Navy quarterback Xavier Arline and forced him out of bounds before the pylon.
- Army’s fourth-down stand against Navy: Senior captain Amadeo West led the charge to keep Army’s first shutout over the Midshipmen since 1969 intact.
- Jabari Moore’s INT in Air Force win: Moore displayed great concentration and ball skill on his fourth-quarter pick in the end zone to keep the Falcons from extending CIC tilt to two-score game and give Army’s offense a chance for game-winning drive.
- Isaiah Alston’s reception against Louisiana-Monroe: The freshman wide receiver made a difficult catch look rather routine by diving and getting both hands under the ball in a split second. The grab was ranked No. 3 among plays on ESPN’s College Football Final that weekend.
- Jacobi Buchanan’s TD in Air Force: A touchdown run from inside the 1-yard normally wouldn’t be in this regard but Buchanan’s touchdown was on fourth-and-goal and sealed the Commander in Chief’s trophy.
- Jabari Moore Pick Six vs. Cincinnati: Moore’s interception return was far from ordinary. The sophomore cornerback read the shuffle or pitch from the jump and corralled it for 41-yard score.
- Tyrell Robinson’s video-game move against Middle Tennessee State: Robinson, a freshman running back, made an impression in his college debut with a move that reminded of a Madden juke right, turning a potential loss to a productive gain.
- Jon Rhattigan’s Pick Six vs. Middle Tennessee State: Jonny Nation’s 43-yard interception return set the tone for Army’s sensational defensive season. The Black Knights would finish No. 1 in the nation in total defense.
- Mike Johnson’s leadership: The captain showed why he was held him in high respect by pulling away teammates and directing the offense to the sideline after Army scored a touchdown against West Virginia in the Liberty Bowl. Johnson’s action prevented what could have a potential skirmish
- Andre Carter’s INT vs. Georgia Southern: Carter’s diving pick seal Army’s win. The sophomore linebacker also blocked an extra point in one-point victory.
January 22, 2021 at 12:07 AM
Great list!! For this year it might not have been fair to constrain yourself to 10..a couple of other memorable for me are Moore’s play against Cincinnati on that option play, McDonald’s safety against Navy..Anderson’s 4th and 4 bootleg..quite a year..l love your Army Football coverage
January 22, 2021 at 9:56 PM
Appreciate you following our coverage. Absolutely could have made a top 15.